lunedì 15 novembre 2010

Memories of Life and War

I think my biggest regret was not to have asked my grandpa about his life and youth during the war. I was 12 years old when he died,too young for being interested in the past..what i know about him is what my dad has told me.
During fascism every young man had to attend a military school before joining the army.My grandpa tried to desert but the milizia threatened his family so he had to came back to the navy.When he left for war was about 21 years old,and when Italy signed the armistice his ship was captured by germans in France. They were taken in a concentration camp near Colonia. My grandpa menaged to escape after 2 years,coming back to Italy almost entirely by feet. When he reached home he found out his older sister Eudemia was seriously ill,so he left home again and hiding himself on a train, arrived at his sister's,but it was too late because she died few hours before. My aunt Maria,my grandpa's younger sister,told me that when her sister was about to die told her mother not to cry because if a daughter was leaving a son was coming back. I see a little miracle in her profetic words because she didn't know her brother was in safe.
In this pic there's my grandpa's sister Eudemia who died at only 25. My family say i look a lot like her especially when I smile. I would have love to meet her.
Photobucket

Now I want to share with you some pics of my beloved grandpa,the sweetest person on earth. *I MISS YOU NONNO*

Photobucket

Photobucket
i love this heart-shaped pic

Photobucket
on the back side of the pic there's a dedication to his sister:

Photobucket
"ti dono questa mia foto,a ricordo di mia sorella Eudemia tuo fratello Peppino"
(i give you this pic of mine,as a memory to my sister Eudemia your brother Peppino-short name for Giuseppe)

here's a pic of my grandparents' wedding
Photobucket

hope you will like them as I do
xx
*K*

5 commenti:

  1. My grandpa was in the [British] navy too. I was 14 when he died but he told me a few war stories for a school project a year or so beforehand so I do have some memories written down. Nothing like your grandpa's though!

    RispondiElimina
  2. I have some pictorial histories and written memorabilia from my father and grandfather, but I still regret not having discussed their exploits with them at length.

    RispondiElimina
  3. My goodness, Katia you really do resemble Eudemia! At first I thought you had posted a vintage style photo of yourself.

    You are to be applauded for acknowledging and honoring your ancestry. Here in youth obsessed America, older generations are widely dismissed and too few people take the time to learn about and appreciate family members who came before them.

    RispondiElimina
  4. Wonderful memories and pictures!!! How blessed you are to have both!

    RispondiElimina
  5. What a sweet post! The photos are beautiful.

    RispondiElimina

don't be shy!your comments make my day :)