sabato 19 agosto 2017

Collecting vintage make-up

The first time I heard about vintage makeup was during pregnancy.
I was watching videos on YouTube about  safe makeup products during pregnancy and I came across a video about dangerous makeup during Edwardian and Victorian age. Women didn't know what they were putting on their faces and many of the ingredients in makeup could have killed them. 
Thanks to this video I discovered Madeleine Marsh.
I watched her interviews and some photos of her beautiful collection about antique and vintage makeup and knew she also had written a book about it.
I had to have it.
I ordered it on amazon and finished in a couple of hours.
Before that time I collected some items from the Edwardian and Victorian era such as a corset ,a wedding gown and some other pieces which in the meantime had been sold on Etsy and Catawiki, but never seriously got into antique gowns collection.
When I discovered Marsh's collection I knew it was my thing.
Vintage makeup is tiny, beautiful to display, got great packaging and spread through a various type of materials: as Madeleine advices you can collect almost everything from powder compacts to photographs, from dance compacts to talcum powder tins.
Here in my area I only found a couple of items but thanks to Etsy, eBay and my passion for travels my collection is growing, slowly but constantly.
I will talk about my vintage makeup collection here on my blog but if you want a preview of what I call a constant work in progress you can take a look here (mobile version) :



                              Poudre Pompeia early 1900s


                    Flapper cigarette, lipstick and powder case


                              Mem'ry rouge compact, 20s

Please take a look at my Etsy shop HerreraLaneVintage :
-30% off at checkout if you buy two items until Aug.25th
thank you!

1 commento:

  1. Hi, Katia!

    This is a fascinating subject. I never gave it much thought but, thanks to your post and link, I now understand that vintage make-up paraphernalia are wonderful collectibles. I think it is a combination of their age, their daintiness and the intricate artwork on them. You can also learn a thing or two about the fashions and lifestyles of the women who used these products. I am eager for you to present more of the items you acquired online and in your travels.

    Enjoy the rest of your weekend, dear friend Katia!

    RispondiElimina

don't be shy!your comments make my day :)